the journey..
..one step at a time..

Bersih and the Christian Me

A year or 2 ago, I was a lot different. I didn't read the newspapers, I didn't pay attention to what goes on in our nation, I didn't really care. Yeah I know I have to fulfill my responsibility and vote in the elections, but then again, I'm so far away from home, and voting will cost me maybe RM500 or more to buy the plane tickets, bus tickets etc, not to mention the time, how long should I go back for, do I have to take leave etc.

Nowadays, as evidenced by my facebook and twitter feed, I'm vastly different. I pay close attention to the happenings of our nation, esp in the arena of politics. How did I get here? I'm not entirely sure myself. Probably from reading what other people post on their twitter feeds, and from there the concern for the nation started and snowballed til what it is today.

Today, I had time to let my mind wander, and wander it did, to what the church should do or respond in such a time as this. A few days ago, when I first heard about the Bersih rally in Kota Kinabalu, I was wondering whether attending is the right thing to do. I wanted to, for sure, but before God, is it lawful? The Bible says we are to obey the laws of the land and the rulers of the land.

Romans 13:1-2 (NLT)
Respect for Authority
[13:1] Obey the government, for God is the one who put it there. All governments have been placed in power by God. [2] So those who refuse to obey the laws of the land are refusing to obey God, and punishment will follow.

Now even though the next few verses say the authorities are put there to frighten those who do wrong and not those who do right etc, and in the case of BN that does not apply as we can see from their whole reaction to the people wanting to have a peaceful demonstration for fair and clean elections, but still, it does not make the command of God any less than what it is. God says obey the laws of the land, so that is what I must do. Now the law of the land says that we have a right to peaceful assembly as stated in Article 10 below (amazing what can be found on Wikipedia these days..)

Subject to Clauses (2), (3) and (4) —
(a) every citizen has the right to freedom of speech and expression;
(b) all citizens have the right to assemble peaceably and without arms;
(c) all citizens have the right to form associations.
Parliament may by law impose —
(a) on the rights conferred by paragraph (a) of Clause (1), such restrictions as it deems necessary or expedient in the interest of the security of the Federation or any part thereof, friendly relations with other countries, public order or morality and restrictions designed to protect the privileges of Parliament or of any Legislative Assembly or to provide against contempt of court, defamation, or incitement to any offence;
(b) on the right conferred by paragraph (b) of Clause (1), such restrictions as it deems necessary or expedient in the interest of the security of the Federation or any part thereof, or public order;
(c) on the right conferred by paragraph (c) of Clause (1), such restrictions as it deems necessary or expedient in the interest of the security of the Federation or any part thereof, public order or morality.

Now I don't think parliament has imposed any new laws against the Bersih rally or their tees or the yellow colour, so I can conclude that going for the rally would not be disobeying the law of the land or God. The main problem settled. Now, reading the article above does give me some concerns though. If we have a corrupt parliament and we leave them in power, they can freely impose laws even though the constitution says we have a right to assemble peaceably. If the parliament thinks the Bersih march is a security hazard and a disruption of public order and pass a law stating it is, then it would be unlawful to have it or go for it. What's to say they can't say everything else under the sun is a security hazard and a disruption of the public order? Now I'm not a lawyer, but from just reading those few lines, the implications and possibilities of what CAN happen should we allow corrupt, power hungry people with no regard for justice or the rights and welfare of the citizens to stay or be in power are HUGE. Very dangerous to have bad leaders..

Now the church is called to be SALT and LIGHT to the world. The church is called to stand for truth, righteousness, justice and all the good in the world. If so, can the church afford to be silent on this issue? Can the church remain silent and not stand up for fair and clean elections? Can the church by it's inaction allow corrupt leaders to stay in power? I strongly believe that the answer is NO. NO NO NO NO NO!

The church HAS to speak out. The church HAS to add our voices to the thousands of people who are now joining the movement for Bersih elections. The church has to be loudly heard. The church in fact, should be the FIRST ONES to act, because this is what it means to be Christians, to hate evil, to love justice, to be reflections of Jesus in the world. We must NEVER compromise on our stands, on our integrity, but we also must NEVER compromise on our love: for our nation, for our people, for our leaders.

I will be going to walk on the 9th of July. In faith I say I will go, even when I have a full day's training to facilitate. I will negotiate so that I will be able to go. Because I love my nation. Because I love my people. Because God demands that I stand. And because this is one of the most important things I can do for my nation.

Will you walk with me?
0 comments:

Post a Comment

me..

My photo
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

chatz


Twitter / truelovej

Recent Comments

my wishlist..

-iPad 2!!!
-MacBook Pro

Followers